5 week virtual training
Anatomy of Emotion
After years of co-creation in live events, I invited Mark to collaborate on this course. It’s an offering from his heart and years of practice and study that offers a deep exploration for the global sangha.
The Anatomy of Emotion course offers a multidimensional roadmap of the body, through the Chinese 5 Element system. This system and practices creates a bridge that connects our minds, bodies and emotions. The powerful journey you’re about to go on will dive into the shadowy depths of our subconscious, releasing your lightness of being, soulful playfulness and spiritual curiosity.
Over 5 weeks, we’ll explore the embodied energies of each element, cultivating conscious pathways for our emotions to come to the surface and be integrated into the self, leaving us feeling more whole. Throughout, we’ll focus on opportunities to authentically express ourselves more, curate an inner sense of being and to integrate practices of self-care in our daily lives. This course offers an emotional education on how to be grounded in our essence through our bodies and our actions.
- Physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual aspects of our beings
- An in-depth tour of your body’s system through Chinese 5 Element theory
- Practices to support self-expression, authenticity and emotional integration
- Intimacy with your conscious and unconscious selves, as well as your community and the larger world around you
- Ways to cultivate emotional buoyancy
Throughout the course, we’ll explore each of the 5 Chinese elements as it relates to our emotions, our psychological state and our physical body.
Each week, a new module will be released. You can watch the videos in that module on your own schedule.
- Introductory week | Preparation, Props, and Course Overview
- Module 1 | Earth | from Anxiety and Worry to Compassion, Openness, Groundedness, Trust
- Module 2 | Metal | from Grief/Shame/Stuck to Letting go, Inspiration, Dignity
- Module 3 | Water | from Fear/Insecurity/Depression to Emotional buoyancy, Courage, Wisdom
- Module 4 | Wood |from Anger/Judgment/Resentment to Healthy Boundaries, Right action and Self Confidence
- Module 5 | Fire | from Insecurity/Blame/Hopelessness to Loving Kindness, Passion, Joy, Intimacy
Each week will include
- A discussion of the week’s Element
- A road map of the key trigger points and lines of energy
- Self-massage techniques
- Asana practice
- An exploration of asana and energy
- Techniques to support loved ones
- Chi Gong practice
- Stillness practice
Throughout the course, we’ll assign readings from the following books. You can access these from most major booksellers or direct from the author/publisher or as ebooks.
A Little Book on the Human Shadow by Robert Bly
My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies by Resmaa Menakem
No Mud, No Lotus by Thich Nhat Hanh
Swamplands of the Soul: New Life in Dismal Places by James Hollis
Wounds into Blessings: How Healing Touch Evokes The Spirit for a Passionate Life by Dr. Fred Mitouer
Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects us from What Really Matters by Robert Augustus Masters
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone and everyone who wants to cultivate a deeper authentic connection with their emotions, their minds and their bodies.
- Dedicated yoga practitioners
- Yoga teachers who want to cultivate deeper access to their emotions
- Anyone seeking more individual agency and integrating emotions into their whole being.
- Those seeking a community of support to express their truest self.
The immersion can be taken for 25 continuing education hours through Yoga Alliance or applied Janet’s 300/500/1008-hour programs.
About Mark Haviland
Over seventeen years ago Mark went through a near death experience which catapulted him into the depths of his own soul, the trenches of the human experience and a long expedition through the healing arts. Through his own healing crisis he learned several techniques and modalities while surrounding himself and studying with many master teachers. After nearly two decades of having a thriving private practice, intense self study and traveling the world teaching he created The Anatomy of Emotion Course.
About Janet Stone
Janet’s studentship began at 17 under the meditation teachings of Prem Rawat. His reverence for simplicity and finding joy in the rise and fall of life live on in her practice and teaching today. In 1996, she traveled to India, the birthplace of her grandfather, and became dedicated to the path of yoga. Janet blends the alchemy of her own practice with decades of studentship. She aspires not to teach but to allow the practice to emanate from her, letting awareness blend with movement and breath. Based in Bali and San Francisco, she leads immersions, retreats, workshops and more.