After years of co-creation in live events, I invited Harvey to collaborate on this course. It’s an offering from his extensive knowledge and years of practice and study that offers a deep exploration for the global sangha.
In Parts the Whole was created from a vast knowledge base acquired through Harvey Deutch’s 40 years of practice as a Physical Therapist and 20 years as a Yoga teacher. For this virtual course, Janet and Harvey bring together their years of practice melding their ideas and wisdoms to co-create an Intimate understanding of interconnections within our physical body and how these engage with the subtle/energetic bodies.
Over seven weeks, we will connect all the pieces of this amazing body to feel how the system operates as a whole.
Through a detailed look at the skeletal architecture and joint structures, we will piece together the magnificent puzzle of the body.
This course will provide tools to commandeer your own “bodyship” in life and in yoga asana practice. Developing the knowledge and skills to access and steer the movements in our bodies with a deeper insight into how they all fit together will enable you to practice for the rest of your life.
We will explore
- Scientific and Artistic exploration of our physical form
- Techniques to practice safely and playfully to sustain the journey for a lifetime
- Functional anatomy component of Yoga Asana and all its dynamic adaptations
- The relationship between the physical and subtle bodies
- Personal “Tickets to Paradise” to help heal and prevent injury and overuse.
- Key concepts of Kinesiology and the physical body to facilitate graceful movement and practice
Each of the seven weeks will focus on one specific “part of the whole” of the body.
We will explore each separately, marrying them together throughout the course, in order to create an aligned and stable system. Each week, you’ll get a new module. You can work the core curriculum for that module over the course of the week.
- Available when you enroll | Introductory Week | Course Welcome and Overview
- September 23 | Module 1 | Foot & Ankle
- September 30 | Module 2 | Knee
- October 7 | Module 3 | Hip
- October 14 | Module 4 | Lumbar & Sacro-Iliac
- October 21 | Module 5 | Cervical and Thoracic spine
- October 28 | Module 6 | Shoulder
- November 4 | Module 7 | Elbow, Wrist & Hand
- November 10 | Integration
Each week will include
- Kinesiology concepts that relate to each joint or body part to understand movement
- Discussion of functional and dynamic anatomy (the anatomy of movement)
- Bones, muscles and notable landmarks for each area of the body
- Functional exercises and movements (called “tickets to paradise”) to target weak, tight or unexplored muscles.
- Asana practices with Janet for each body part + a fully integrated version of these practices at the end of the course
- Discussion and breakdown of the poses as they related to anatomy
Live sessions will be offered several times during the course. These will be an opportunity to connect with one another and clarify concepts and ask questions about the course material. Live sessions will be recorded in case you cannot attend live, and you can submit questions in advance as well.
Throughout the course, we’ll assign readings from the following books. You can access these from most major booksellers or direct from the author/publisher or as ebooks.
Anatomy of Movement by Blandine Calais-Germain
Functional Anatomy of Yoga by David Keil
Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by David H. Coulter.
Who is this course for?
- Yoga practitioners with a desire to understand the physical body, especially as it pertains to yoga asana
- Teachers interested in developing accurate verbal cues for “verbal assist” in class.
- Students and Teachers who want to learn how to practice from the inside out
This course can be taken for 35 continuing education hours through Yoga Alliance or as part of Janet’s teacher training programs.
Enrollment is open.
Early rates are in effect through September 23. On September 24, tuition will increase by $100.
Tuition can be paid in full or via a payment plan. We also offer sliding scale options and a discounted rate for joining with a friend or group.
Acclaimed physical therapist, yogi, and beloved teacher, Harvey Deutch, P.T. has been merging the art and science of yoga and physical therapy for over 33 years, exploring and perfecting the the nuances of each. His laser-sharp precision and keen eye for working with the physical form join his innate ability to understand and finesse the energetic body. Along with his signature humor, Harvey is well-known for taking two-dimensional anatomy off the page and making it burst alive on the mat.
Janet’s studentship began at 17 under the meditation teachings of Prem Rawat. His reverence for simplicity and finding joy in the rise and fall of life live on in her practice and teaching today. In 1996, she traveled to India, the birthplace of her grandfather, and became dedicated to the path of yoga. Janet blends the alchemy of her own practice with decades of studentship. She aspires not to teach but to allow the practice to emanate from her, letting awareness blend with movement and breath. Based in Bali and San Francisco, she leads immersions, retreats, workshops and more.