Immersion into the 5 Elements offers a profound introduction to the material and energetic forces that make up our world, our bodies, and our practice of living yoga.
Our bodies are a manifestation of these 5 elements in both a very real physical sense and in a deep energetic sense. We are 70% water, the air we breathe connects us intimately to all other life, and our bones are made from minerals we digest (fire) from food, drawn in turn from the earth beneath us.
Energetically, the practices of yoga—asana, pranayama, chanting and medication—can help us sense how these energies move through us and infuse our lives.
In this workshop, we’ll study how to balance and harness the energies of these fundamental building blocks of all life. We’ll honor our deeply intimate connection to the planet, recognizing that all we have comes from the earth and how these 5 elements manifest in our own bodies and all of the living beings with whom we share space.
- Earth | Prithvi: The earth element is a solid state of matter; she rests in stability.
- Water | Apas: Water is change. We ourselves are a dynamic form of water and are surrounded by it.
- Fire | Agni: When we step onto the yoga path we step into tapas, the fire of practice. The principles of fire in the universe are called agni in Sanskrit, meaning “the transforming force.”
- Air | Vayu: The air element is the life force that expresses itself from the moment of birth to death in our inhale and exhale.
- Ether | Akasha: All elements come from ether, unending and boundless space. It’s a difficult concept to grasp because it’s an impossible substance to grasp. We begin to feel. To listen. To pause. To explore the spaces in and around our breath and our movements, our hours and our days, our thoughts and our bodies.
*Training option: Teachers receive 40 hours of Yoga Alliance continuing education credit (28 contact hours and 12 hours of credit from assigned self-study). This program also qualifies towards the Janet Stone Yoga or Yoga Tree 500hr and 1000hr Teacher Training Programs.
7:00 am-12:30 pm
*Training includes Janet’s public classes on March 5, 7 and 8 (Tuesday-Thursday 6:15-7:45 pm & Friday 4:30-6 pm). Classes to be used during training only (Yoga Tree cannot make any exceptions). If taking this training for Continuing Education credit and classes are missed, you’ll need to make up the class in order to receive credit (which can be any of Janet’s public classes). Standard class fees apply.
$308 | $408 after February 18
$208 JSY and Yoga Tree teacher trainees (please contact any Yoga Tree studio to enroll.)